Friday, September 20, 2013

IBA President's Report on Summer Activities


Alan Adams, IBA President

This report takes me from both ends of the state and several places in between. I started the month in Oak Park, Ill., which is a large suburb immediately adjacent to Chicago. I was feeding cattle one Sunday morning when the news came on the tractor radio that Oak Park was passing a “Meatless Monday” proclamation. I called Monday morning and found out that the meetings were televised and recorded so I could review what had happened. The townspeople requesting the resolution made presentations before the village board with terrible accusations about our industry. They said our feedlots were “toxic waste dumps” and that we raised our animals in “cruel and overcrowded confinements”. They also said our beef was unsafe to eat and was “pumped full of antibiotics”.  I’ve been involved in local government for many years and I know when village boards go to training sessions that these kinds of actions are discussed and shared with other attendees. I had visions of several other suburbs passing similar resolutions so I got some help from Jill Johnson, our IBA communications director, and we responded. Jill wrote a nice editorial rebutting the claims and sent it out to several outlets as well as to Oak Park. I asked Oak Park if they would give me time to rebut the claims and they said yes, so I went in to see them personally. I used a little of my time to rebut the claims, but I also invited them out to the DeKalb County Fair at Sandwich in September, and to tour some beef farms while in the area. I really hope some of them take me up on the offer because if you are not familiar with the Sandwich Fair it’s a dandy. There are also plenty of beef farms nearby to visit and show them the truth about how we raise our cattle. I got a call the next day from a reporter from the paper in Oak Park and he said he would like to come out to the fair and write a story. Even if nothing comes of it I’m still glad we made the effort to respond. I think we have to use every opportunity available to tell the truth about what we do.

We had another interesting opportunity to represent beef producers when we were invited to meet with several administrators from the University of Illinois (U of I). It was a nice opportunity to hear about many of the challenges the University faces and to pass on the concerns of beef producers. I really appreciate all the effort Farm Bureau President Philip Nelson put into organizing the meeting. The animal science department is currently the highest ranked research department in the country. I emphasized how important it is to our industry that top research is continued and that important faculty positions in animal science be maintained. One remark that President Bob Easter made has stuck with me and was especially concerning.  He said that “many” graduates of rural schools are not getting the course work in high school that will allow them to be successful at the U of I. I’ve had a number of conversations over the years concerning the very low percentage of veterinary students who are interested in large animal work. I have to believe that most large animal veterinarians brought an interest in animal care from their home life and the thought of our very best rural students possibly held back because of lack of resources in our high schools is very disturbing.

I attended quite a few other meetings this month, but I especially want to thank the members who attended our two regional affiliates meetings in Mt.Vernon, Ill., and Ottawa, Ill. It was a nice opportunity for our staff and affiliate leaders to meet and share their thoughts. I had several opportunities to visit affiliates as vice president and one thing I learned is that when you ask beef producers for their opinion you better be ready for what happens next! The staff went back with lots of notes and many new ideas. I know we will be organizing more in the future, so if you want one in your area start calling the office now with your ideas! I hope to get to visit with many more of you when the meeting season gets going after harvest. JoAnn and I enjoy taking our camper anywhere so if you would like my attendance at a function just call. 

I can’t end this article without saying something about the State Fair. JoAnn and I went down for Ag Day and had a great time. We had several important contacts that will help further our members’ interests, but I think the highlight of the day was seeing how well the beef industry was represented. From the quality of the animals to the pride shown in their care it was a great display of the very best rural Illinois has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment