Thursday, September 12, 2013

Cooking Demonstration Turned Education Opportunity

Last month, the Illinois Beef Association (IBA) participated in numerous activities at the Illinois State Fair. I (Jill) had the privilege of conducting a cooking demonstration on Wed., Aug. 14, at the Hobby Arts and Crafts building for Lean Beef Day. For you livestock people, the Hobby, Arts, and Crafts Building is on the “other side” of the fairgrounds. I am relatively new to the cooking demonstration arena, but nonetheless packed up my utensils and hoped for the best. I prepared East West Flank Steak Wraps – a simple, delicious, and lean beef dish. I was allotted an hour for the demonstration, however the recipe only takes 35 minutes to prepare. We decided to add a beef trivia session to the end of the cooking demonstration to fill time and encourage audience interaction. What, in my mind, was a simple beef promotion effort turned into a great opportunity and moment of engagement. I was fascinated by the pointed question and answer session this trivia game prompted. I wanted to share with you the top questions I was asked.

What does the word “Choice” mean on a label?
What is the best way to defrost beef?
Should I feel bad about not being able to afford “Natural” beef and why is it labeled “Natural”?
How can I save money when purchasing beef at the grocery store?
How to beef farmers care for their cattle?
Why are cattle fed corn?
How do I choose the appropriate beef cuts?
Where can I find beef recipes?
How can I tell if beef is done cooking?

What I learned from answering these questions is that a vast majority of people are concerned about price, animal welfare, and food safety, and that consumers are genuinely excited and eager to learn more about beef. Having a passion for the beef business, and being open and genuine in dealing with people makes disarming skeptical or uneasy consumers simple.


Interaction with consumers is the only way to make a connection and share our story. I understand that defending your livelihood can be intimidating. But, if people have the opportunity to discover that it is indeed other people that have the same values and concerns as they do producing their beef, negative assumptions about beef production will dwindle.


No comments:

Post a Comment